Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Working under pressure

Working under pressure.

That has been my entire last couple of days. From actual pressure, to sinus pressure. I hate this cold. I'm over it and I'm ready to feel better again. I'm getting progressively better, but at a far slower rate than I would like.

Saturday after the Rugby match, I wrote my story on the bus ride home and put the finishing touches on it in my room. I went out to Buca Di Beppos for a friend's birthday dinner. When I got back, I was told that I needed pictures for the story. There was a photographer at the game, but I had no contact information, not even a name.

They were supposed to post the pictures to the rugby Facebook page.

I contacted multiple rugby players only to not get an answer. Sunday was a pretty relaxing day of Steeler football and Pirate baseball. Sunday nights are movie nights with a film society at PPU. We watched Silver Linings Playbook, an oscar award winning film and an overall great movie.

Now Monday. With my cold still not getting better, I went to CVS to see what I could find. Emily is sick too so I was going to buy her cold medicine as well. I got what I needed and went back to campus. Before my 1:00 class, I stopped in the Student Health Office. I asked if they had anything for a cold and they gave me a bag full of pseudoephed and something else. It has been working fairly well. They also gave me free mini packs of tissues!

Hey, if I'm paying to go to this school, I may as well take advantage of all of the services that they offer.

Later Monday night, I was relaxing after a long day and watching the Pirate game. Suddenly, I got a notification that 65 new pictures had been added to the rugby Facebook page. Finally.

I sent them over to the sports editor, Emily Brak, and she asked me to send two specific pictures to her email. I thought that was done.

I went over to the gym at 9:45 to play basketball with a few guys. While I was there, she asked me to then send them from a personal email to the Globe photo email. I don't know why. I told her that I would get to it when I got back from the gym.

When I finished the game, I rushed back to my dorm to resend the email at 10:45. Again, I thought I was done.

At 11:15, Kristen, the editor elect, texted me and asked for cutlines for the pictures. A cutline is the caption at the bottom of a picture describing the who when and where. I had no idea who the three guys were in the two pictures that they had. I'm still trying to get to know 25 new names and faces and of course, these three faces were unrecognizable to me.

I sent the pictures to multiple players asking for help with no answers. Do they ever check their phones? I did my own research on Facebook and attempted to match names with faces. A half hour later, I was able to create cutlines for the pictures. I thought I was done, again.

Falling asleep at 12:15, I was then asked for the name of the photographer. I had no idea. I had no hope but to ask as many rugby players that I could. I felt obnoxious.

Finally, one of the team captains got back to me and I had the name. 12:30 and I could finally sleep. It was done. The other team captain would later message me back at 1:30. Just in time.

I was met with compliments on my work and a satisfactory feeling. I came up clutch again.

Tonight, we film the first episode of the sports show Pioneer Sideline. I'm not on the show tonight but I will be working behind the scenes.

I'm just trying to get as involved as I can and work as hard as I can to make good impressions. I hope it's working. Now I need to concentrate on getting better, as if concentrating on feeling better could actually work.

Because, why not?
Josh




No comments:

Post a Comment