Friday, September 5, 2014

Right place, right time

I just love being spontaneous, if you haven't figured that out yet. I have no idea what I'll be doing next, and I like that.

Of course I like having schedules and a structured life. I also love the thrill and excitement that comes with being spontaneous. That has a good chance of being the theme of my college career, or at least my freshman year.

Wednesday night, I went over to the Student Center to play basketball at 8:00. I met a couple of really cool guys there, one of which will be on my intramural team.

Last night, I was on call to work the men's soccer home season opener at Highmark Stadium for the Point Park Sports Network. I was told two hours before the game that I was not needed for the 7:00 game. At 6:40, I prepared to go eat dinner and settle down for the night. Thursdays here are pretty insane, as a majority of students do not have Friday classes, myself included. The college of performing arts students (COPA) usually have class Friday. Dancers have 8:00 am ballet every day. That's rough, I hear.

I threw on a pair of shoes and grabbed my ID to prepare to head to the dining hall when my phone went off. I had a message from one of the students calling the game waiting. He said that they did not have somebody to run the camera for the game and was asking me if I was available. Wanting to make good first impressions, I made the adventure to the Strip District.

It was more of a run. I turned a 20 minute walk into a 9 minute run to get to the stadium in time for kickoff. Positive impression, check. "This is really clutch of you," the director of sports communications told me. I was then given a voucher for the concession stand from the athletic director before the game started. I spent it on a pretzel and gatorade at halftime, AKA dinner.

Point Park lost 1-0 after an aggressive and tough match. We left the stadium at 9:30 to venture back to campus. I got back and headed straight to the Point Cafe. They do late night meal exchanges and the food is pretty good. College food actually isn't as bad as I had imagined from horror stories that I heard. Food is food. After getting my chicken quesadilla from the snarky woman at the grill, I went over to the soda machine for a soft drink.

There, I ran into one of the guys that I played basketball with on Wednesday night and his girlfriend, who happened to be Breann Wood, my childhood best friend who attends Carlow University. I haven't seen her since Kindergarden, I swear. What a small world. I will cover the soccer woman's soccer game when Carlow faces PPU at Highmark Stadium. She starts for Carlow.
Can you see me?

Today began my weekend. I love beginning weekends on Fridays. I also love Shostakovich. I'm listening to his 12th symphony, "The Year 1917" now. Beast.

Anyways, this morning I woke up early and did laundry and homework. I learned of a Steelers Pep Rally in Market Square that was scheduled to happen at noon. At 10:15, I made my way over to market square because, why not? There, the Tunch & Wolf Show on ESPN 970 was broadcasting live. I took a front row seat and listened in. As people started to venture into Market Square, I stayed in my seat and people watched. I do that a lot here. There's a lot of interesting people in Pittsburgh.

Mayor Peduto addressing fans
Tunch and Wolf show
The Pittsburgh Steeline performed, the Steelers (pathetic) mascot made an appearance and the atmosphere was close to energetic. The pep rally began and was over just as it started. 15 minutes was all that lasted of the rally. Speeches from Steelers President Art Rooney II, Mayor Bill Peduto and Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald allong with Tunch and Wolf was all that the pep rally entailed. Here's a photo slideshow of the event. The Mayor of Pittsburgh Bill Peduto stuck around to do interviews for local media. I ventured over to the small gathering of reporters and included myself in the huddle. I got funny and dirty looks from the other reporters but I didn't care. I nodded and agreed with some of Peduto's statements and pretended like I belonged.

After his interview session, Stan Savran was taking his first commercial break on the set of his radio show on 970 ESPN. I walked over to the set and introduced myself. I was shaking and nervous but kept my composure. He couldn't have been any nicer. I grew up watching him on FSN Pittsburgh and watched him cover Pittsburgh sports for as long as I can remember. As I told him, he is one of the first people that I remember seeing on TV. This guy is a Pittsburgh media legend. He gave me career advice without even asking and wished me the best of luck. He said that he loves the work that PPU does with their students and that they always produce quality work.
Stan Savran hosting his old show on FSN "SportsBeat

This one minute spontaneous conversation was really great. It reminded me of the reason that I'm living in downtown Pittsburgh and attending Point Park. I'm never far from action and never too far away from meeting somebody. The business is all about being in the right place at the right time, sometimes that comes up spontaneously. I love it.

I don't know what's in store for the weekend other than the Rugby match at Grove City tomorrow. Again, I love being spontaneous and being in the right place at the right time to connect with the right people in the right places. I love this city.

Because, why not?
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment