Friday, September 12, 2014

Huge step forward

This week I had the opportunity to work behind the scenes for the first taping of the two major weekly productions at Point Park, "Pioneer Sideline" and "Daybreak."

Sideline is the weekly Point Park sports show that highlights the previous week in Point Park as well as Pittsburgh sports. The show ends with the "Courthouse Case of the Week," a debate segment where four students debate whatever is the lead headline in the sports world that week.

Daybreak is similar to "The Today Show" and "Good Morning America." There is Point Park, national, city and political news, as well as a national sports segment. The show closes with a free segment that could be anything from highlighting a student's talent to playing Wii Sports, which was the case for this week's taping.

My latest Rugby story in the Globe
I ran camera for Sideline on Tuesday night. The senior producer of the show had just set up an interview with one of the rugby players and was going into the interview blind. I gave him a lot of information to go off of and helped him have a successful interview. The host struggled in his first appearance as host of the show. I took instruction well and received multiple compliments after the show.

Because of the good impression that I left, I was offered an on-camera spot for the next episode. I will get to do a two minute spot on the rugby team followed by a question and answers segment with analysis. I was also offered one of the four positions for the Case of the Week.
My view from the KiPro computer
in the control room

On Thursday we shot Daybreak and I was looking to learn something new. I volunteered to run KiPro, the digital video playback machine. It is a complicated system and I caught on pretty quickly. The show ran fairly smoothly.

After the show we had a post production meeting to fill spots for the next weeks show. I was chosen to do the sports segment for next weeks show.

Next week, I will make multiple U-View TV debuts. I am more than excited to make my first appearances on the shows and start making my mark in the studio. With a number of seniors graduating in December and May, there are positions looking to be filled and an eager freshman looking to fill them.

Because, why not?
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment