Thursday, August 28, 2014

Finally

Yes, finally.

My first full week is in the books. I love the fact that I start my weekend on a Thursday night. That's awesome. No classes on Monday because of Labor day either!

I just got back from a glow in the dark dance party. I didn't stay for the whole time but wow can people dance here. My dad dance moves don't compare with people getting scholarships to go here to dance. It's obviously a dance school, and I can't dance. It was still a blast.

I had my first normal Tue/Thus day of classes today. I don't start until 1 and I have only two classes.

In Mass Comm, I took a current events practice quiz and listened to a lecture that included videos from a TED Talk and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I love that show. It was actually enjoyable. The person sitting beside me got a 2/10 on the quiz, including the additional bonus question. The highest anybody else got was an 8 when the professor asked. He went number by number and I just kept raising my hand until I saw a few people left. I put my hand down after he asked who got 9 correct. The papers were turned in so he could see who knew what about current events.

I really got an 11/10. All 10 questions on current events, plus the bonus questions. The questions were fairly simple and only require one to actually look at something other than their Facebook timeline when they browse the web. I didn't want to seem like that know-it-all kid on the first day, so I didn't volunteer my score.

Last year in high school, I took a sociology course with Mr. McKay, arguably my favorite teacher in my schooling career up to that point. He was great and made me fall in love with the fascinating subject of sociology.

I'm in Sociology 150 now. The professor I have may possibly cause me to break up with sociology. He can't stay on topic and goes all over the place. He is unorganized, unprepared and his lectures are made up as he goes along. I hate it.

I have a lot of English homework for the weekend, as well as Mass Comm.

I also have my rugby story to write by tomorrow evening. Because of my new assignment to be the beat reporter for the rugby team, I am unable to attend the Honors Program trip to the Flight 93 Memorial. The first of three home games for the team is the same day. It's a Croup thing. The game is on a Saturday, and my deadline is the Friday night before. So, I'll have to whip out a story on the game in a few hours.
Half of the prospective U-View students at the first meeting

I had my first U-View meeting tonight. We were introduced to the current U-View crew and briefed on the different shows that we can take part in. After the brief 20 minute session, we were treated to free pizza and soda. (FREE)

I stuck around and the current crew trained the remaining students on how to use the equipment. There were around 40 kids at the meeting when it started. There were 15 that stuck around. The faculty and current crew could see who was committed to jumping right in to help out on U-View shows.
The only other picture of me posted. I was listening to a current
student explain how to connect a microphone with XLR cables.
I had to teach myself that at BTTV. She cracked a funny joke
and I was looking at Emily (Globe sports editor, BR major)
with the "Really? You thought that was funny" face.
I don't even know.
I only stood like that for 5 seconds and it was
caught on camera apparently. What even.

A lot of the studio was similar to what I used at BTTV. It felt silly being taught how to use equipment that I already knew how to use. The control room equipment is a different story. It isn't all that complicated, but it is at the same time. I never realized until this week how much Mr. Robbins (BTTV) and Mr. Thompson (Skyliner Newspaper) prepared me for college.

I signed up to report for the Pioneer Sideline (the PPU weekly sports show), Daybreak (Similar to "The Today Show") and the traveling sports reporters who travel with the basketball teams in the winter.

There are a lot of seniors. That's a good thing. They're all graduating in either December or May. There are lots of shoes to fill and they don't know who is going to step up. Enter me.

I expressed my interest about getting involved to anybody that I could find and introduced myself to everybody that I could. I'm ready to just get involved. I'm finally done with my first week and ready for my first real weekend here. The weekend will consist of homework and Pirate games (Friday and Saturday). That's all.

I'm already involved with so many things, I don't know if I will be able to handle it all. That's what I thought in high school too. I never wanted to have to think back on my career in school and wish that I had done more. I don't think I'll have to do that in college either. I'm finally starting to get my foot in the door and can't wait to bust it down and jump right in.

Because, why not?
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment