Thursday, August 14, 2014

I'm Ready

Yes, I'm ready.

Only some of the "stuff" to bring.
AKA - Chaos
- Minus the floor tom - 
I made my (hopefully) final trip to various stores this evening to make the final purchases for college life. I know I'm forgetting something, but whatever. What fun would it be if I wasn't?

I'm ready.

I'm ready to begin the next chapter of my life.

I'm ready to experience all that city life has to offer.

I'm ready to make new friends and form new relationships.

I'm ready.

At the same time, I'm not.

A part of me doesn't want to leave home. That's natural. Butler will always be home for me. (Video: "Always Home") Home sickness will kick in eventually and I'm prepared for that. That's why I will have friends, homework and reporting to do in Pittsburgh.

Just thinking about that gives me the nervous jitters. Pittsburgh. The city that I stared in awe at whenever my dad drove over one of it's 446 bridges when I was younger, and when I passed through the city one month ago. The sight never gets old. The nervous jitters are good jitters, if that exists.

Jitters excited to jump in and get involved, to make good first impressions and to work in a new studio.

Jitters to get all of the student discounts - especially at Subway - that I will take full advantage of. I love bargains. I don't love getting all dimes and nickels from my local Subway at lunch. That happened today. $.90 worth.

I've been in touch with my roommate. He seems really cool, and not a jerk. That's good. Really good.

I've made some connections with classmates through orientation and social media that I'm looking forward to expanding.

I'm ready.

I'm ready to find out if I received an apprenticeship with U-VIEW (The PPU broadcast studio). I sent a resume, cover letter and portfolio. That was time consuming. I'm itching to find out if I got a position. It's a paid position with flexible hours doing what I love. I'm at a disadvantage, however, because I am just a freshman.

Just a freshman.

I'm sure I'll hear that this year. I want to be judged by what I produce, not my age.

There are so many un-answered questions and so many discoveries to be made.

I'm ready.

A quick side note before I end this post:

Jack on the day we brought him home
Someone who I didn't think that I would miss too much when I left is my dog, Jack.

Jack was born July 11, 2008. I named him after my favorite baseball player and former Pittsburgh Pirate shortstop Jack Wilson. Wilson was traded to Seattle almost one year later on July 29, 2009. That was a rough day for thirteen-year-old me.

We've had a strong love-hate relationship over the years. I picked him out over all of the other miniature schnauzers in the crammed dog pen in the middle of nowhere. His twin sibling is actually the dog of former Steeler's defensive lineman Aaron Smith. I'm not kidding. There was a salt & pepper puppy running around with a white and a grey one. I picked the salt & pepper puppy. Smith's puppy was the white one waiting to mature before he could be taken to his new home.

I imagined Jack to be a cuddly, quiet dog who would love people and sleep with me some nights.

My thoughts of what Jack would be were completely wrong. To say that Jack is cuddly, quiet, loves people and enjoys curling up with me would be far from the truth. It's the exact opposite. Unless it's with his "momma."

Most days, he has more energy than a kindergartner who just ate a jumbo Pixie Stick. He hates cuddling with me and hates people even more.

He has three loves in this world: Momma, food (treats) and walks.

He loves his walks.

This summer, I started walking Jack around the house once every day, sometimes every other day. He spends his time on walks sniffing the yard for chipmunks and squirrels that have been frolicking in his yard. He almost caught a chipmunk the other day, actually. He also almost ripped into a bird the week before. He's crazy.

He knows our walk routine and all that I have to say is "Walk" and he jumps off of the couch, perks his ears straight up and darts for the door.

After the walk, he runs up the stair and waits for me to play with him. His version of "play" is to run in circles around my hand or play tug of war with his old collars. If he gets too wild, he sometimes catches a finger with his teeth. He knows when he makes contact. He drops down, gives my puppy dog eyes, extends his paw and licks my hand in apology. It's adorable.

I'm going to miss Jack a lot more than I realize. I only realized today that in a week, he won't be spoiled by daily walks anymore. Unless, of course, my brother gets away from X-Box long enough to take him out. It won't be the same.

I realized today that I won't get to wrestle with him and play tug of war every day.

He's not cuddly, he's not quiet but he is a man's best friend.

I'll miss my friends and I'll miss my family. I expected that. I didn't expect to think that I'd miss my
buddy who defines unconditional love and doesn't ask questions when I talk to him.

This will make it so much more bittersweet to leave on Wednesday, but also more enjoyable to return home. I'm ready.


Because, why not?
Josh



No comments:

Post a Comment