Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Day 1 - Part 2

I title this "Day 1 - Part 2" because the second day of classes was basically another first day.

My first class wasn't until 1:00 so I had a lot of time to kill. I ran errands, visited a number of offices to get stupid problems fixed and sent a dozen emails. Emails to financial aid, emails to clubs and emails to rugby players to set up interviews.

I sat at lunch with someone who was sitting alone so I wouldn't be alone and they wouldn't be alone. It's easy to make friends if you try, really.

After lunch, I checked my mailbox for the third time and it was still empty. I ventured up to the Lawrence Hall Ballroom for Mass Communications. For the first day of this class, they took all 5 sections of the class and had everybody meet at the same time.

Mass Communications (Journalism 101)
Me sitting, naturally, in the last row beside my roommate
and Amanda from Butler. 
The class is split up into 6 different parts with 6 different professors throughout the semester. I'll have each prof for about 2 weeks with current events quizzes every Thursday and mountains of homework. The overall class seems so overwhelming. I already have homework in that class too. It is a 20 point online quiz that goes along with a reading from my text book. I have to purchase my sociology and MC book tomorrow with bookstore credit that I have. The money won't be available until tomorrow.

We ended about a half hour early so I went back to the mailroom to look into another empty mailbox. There, a girl who I met at convocation was struggling pushing a cart with 6 packages that her parents had sent her. With time to kill, I helped her get all of her packages across the street and into her dorm in Thayer.

My next class was Sociology in the West Penn building which is a nightmare. The elevators are the slowest ones on campus and my class was on the 9th floor. I walked it. That was intense. On a normal day, MC is on the 8th floor and Soc is on the 9th floor after that.

I walked into the room and recognized a couple other broadcast majors that I sat next to. I also discovered that three of the women's soccer players are in my class. At the game on Saturday, we all cheered for #23 who was from England. We chanted "Let's go England" among other chants every time she touched the ball. She's in the class and her accent is amazing. I just love English accents.

The prof was 15 minutes late to class and didn't have s syllabus. He said that his printer jammed and didn't know what to talk about. He basically gave a brief overview of the class and dismissed us 15 minutes later.

I received an email that I did not get the apprenticeship for The U-View Broadcast Network, but my information was forwarded to the Point Park News Service.

I also joined The Center for Sports Media and Marketing which brings notable media and marketing figures to PPU to speak to students and host events. This link will show you everybody that they've brought in so far.

I feel very overwhelmed already and it's day 2. There's so much homework that I can't even do yet and I don't know how I'm going to make it. It's rough. It's supposed to be, I guess. Tonight we have another event with free food and stuff. It's so much. I just listened to the entire Tchaik 5 symphony while writing this and reading 60 pages for Jour 150 from a book I borrowed from Justine.

P.S. Birthday shoutout to my mother of over 18 years celebrating her 25th birthday for yet another year.

It's only day two and I feel my head spinning (literally). We'll see how day three goes. Meanwhile, I'm going to eat more and stress less.

Because, why not?
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment