Sunday, September 18, 2016

Pittsburgh Penguins - Week 3

Talk about starting this internship with a bang.

Tuesday I went to Consol in the middle of Point Park’s grand opening ceremonies for the Center for Media Innovation. I was all over the place that day for the ceremonies, but had to escape for two hours to help with the media credential check-in table.

It wasn’t too much work, just essentially giving people their credentials as they entered the arena. Tuesday was the practice day at Consol for the four teams in the World Cup of Hockey. There were hundreds of members of the media, along with scouts and coaches from other teams around the world.

I wish I spoke more than just English, let me tell you what.

Wednesday was game day. My class that was supposed to end at 12:50 let out at 12:30 and I bolted to Consol immediately after the class finished. I got to the arena around 12:45 and didn’t leave until 11:45.

We had to man the credential table once again. This time, there were a lot more people coming in and looking for their credential. I only had a couple minor problems. I didn’t have parking for one photographer who wasn’t happy and somebody from team Europe was irritated that I couldn’t find his credential right away or understand what questions he asked.

I felt so lost on that day. People were asking me questions I should know the answer to, but didn’t simply because it was my first real big day there.

I don’t even know my way around the arena.

I did the best that I could to find the answers everyone had questions for and kept my cool. The arena is a giant maze, even though it is just a circle. I think it will take a few more days before I really know my way around. It is kind of confusing in parts because certain elevators go to certain floors and certain doors are sometimes locked. It was frustrating not knowing exactly what I was doing, especially for such a large event. But I managed and made it out alive.

I had to man the credential table at the Consol entrance for the duration of the first game between Czech Republic and North America. We were short staffed so I sat worked the table. It wasn’t bad – I still watched the game on a TV in the lobby.

I went back to the press box for the second game between Russia and Canada (the one that really mattered). The crowd went nuts for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin when they were both introduced.

I followed the veterans around and helped them out during the game, trying to get a feel for what I have to do on a typical game day.

Canada tied the game with 6:00 left in the third period and eventually won in overtime. When the game was over, they gave me a recorder and sent me to Canada’s locker room to get sound from players’ interviews. I was in the front row for Crosby’s interview and later interviewed Buffalo’s Ryan O’Reilly.

It was really cool to get in the media scrum around Crosby. I know it’s something I’ll get to do frequently, but it was special getting to do it for the first time as he represented team Canada.


We’re quickly approaching the NHL pre season and I’m really excited to get going. The Pirates are quickly fading out of the MLB playoff picture and I unfortunately only have three games left with the Buccos.

This is fun. This is a fun time. We’re only getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment