Monday, September 26, 2016

Penguins - Week 4

My apologizes for the brief delay this week. Needless to say, working with both the Penguins and the Pirates has been amazing and, as the two overlap, the two are also crazy.

I spent Friday and Saturday at the Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry for Penguins Training Camp. I couldn't attend training camp Sunday because of the Pirates series finale with the Washington Nationals in the afternoon.

The Pirates game ended up lasting more than four hours and set multiple records. The Pirates tied their club record for the number of pitchers used in one game, the Nationals set a club record for the longest 9-inning game (4:01), and the two teams tied a National League record for the number of players used in one game.

I immediately ran from PNC Park over to the new Center for Media Innovation for a night of Point Park Globe meetings. I also spent the early part of Sunday morning covering the Great Race for Point News.

So, it was an involved weekend.

Training camp
My dad was gracious enough to drive to Pittsburgh and provide transpiration too and from Cranberry both Friday and Saturday so I could work the two days. I arrived to the facility at around 7:30 both days and began both mornings passing out full-season credentials and training camp information to members of the media as they arrived.

After the morning skate and scrimmage concluded both days, the interns took to the locker rooms to collect sound from the players' interviews.

I went to the primary locker room on Friday and got sound from Justin Schultz, Scott Wilson and Trevor Daley.

I was assigned to a secondary locker room Saturday where there were no media "scrums," so I just had to basically supervise the locker room. My cousins stopped down on Saturday and said hello which was nice as well.

Our bosses have been fantastic and bought us lunch Saturday from Noodles & Company. The other two interns are also fantastic and will be great to work with.

The Penguins' first home pre season game is this Friday, when I'll really get a taste of what is to come this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment