Sunday, July 5, 2015

Week Nine: July

July is here and it's the last full month of my summer in Charleston. This past week was pretty awesome. It was relaxing, refreshing and there was never a dull moment.
Shoe shopping

After finishing a five-game homestand, I came in Tuesday to compile the Top Ten Plays. I finished the project around 12:00 and took my lunch break. Emily and her mom were in town for a couple days and when I finished up everything I needed to do for the day, I left to go to the mall to meet up with the two for the evening. I was given Wednesday off, so now that I was done with everything, we could spend virtually all day Tuesday and Wednesday together. 

After walking around the mall for a while, we all visited the Capitol Building. This time, we actually went inside and explored for a while. We then went to a free museum on campus that I think I will head back to on my own sometime to explore some more. After that, we walked down to the river and at that point, we did just about everything that there was to do in Charleston minus visit Appalachian Power Park: Mall, Capitol, River. 

We went to the Recovery Sports Grill for dinner, the same restaurant that I took my dad to when he visited. Everybody seemed to enjoy the restaurant. I know I did. Their burgers are fantastic.
Sitting riverside

Emily and I then went to see Inside Out, the new Disney movie in theaters. She works at a movie theater, so naturally, on her off day, we go to a movie theater. Inside Out is one of my new favorite movies. What a cute and fun film. Her mom went to another movie while we were at Inside Out and we finished at around the same time. 

I walked across town to meet up with Emily for breakfast. We went to the same restaurant that we did the last time she was in town, First Watch, and had another phenomenal experience. We got caught in a little rain afterwards on our way back to the mall. We did some shopping for a few hours and then met up with her mom at Chili's for lunch. Emily and I then walked along the river and played on the rocks for about an hour and then enjoyed our last few hours walking around the city. 

What a great couple of days those were. It was nice to get away from the park and catch up with Emily and her mom. I can't say enough how much it meant to me that they were willing to make the drive down here to see me. That is going to be what gets me through the rest of this summer. I wasn't feeling to great after the final game or two of the homestand and they provided a great boost to me. It really meant a lot. 


I've been playing with making 3-D graphics on my computer and turning 2-D objects into 3-D rotating images. It sounds terribly boring and simple, but it isn't. That's what I spent Thursday doing. I ended up producing some decent looking graphics for us to use on the video board for the Fourth of July game Saturday. 
A large crowd on hand for
Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.
Smoke covers fireworks on July 3


Before that though, Friday night was my first free Friday night since May. I went to Live on the Levee where 

Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.a West Virginia native and the America's Got Talent 2011 winner

performed with his big band before a fireworks show. He was spectacular. I can't believe I had never 

heard of him before that night. He was absolutely great. The fireworks show was decent, but the clouds

Basketball
of smoke covered up a majority of the fireworks. 


Riding to Shoney's
We had a 9 a.m. tarp pull on Saturday, July 4. After the tarp pull, a large group of us went to Shoney's, a breakfast buffet restaurant in downtown. I rode with the Mike and Trip to the restaurant in Mike's California license plated convertible. We didn't have to be back at the stadium until 2:00, so I went, with general interns Trip and Josh, to the basketball courts to play for about an hour and a half. Trip is from Indiana, so he was practically born with a basketball in hand. He says that he actually went to an Indiana Hoosiers game the day after he was born. He will be a senior at IU. That was a fun time. We're going to try and go back with more people hopefully in the coming weeks.

We were prepared for a great crowd on the 4th of July. What we got was even better. 6,833 was the recorded attendance, although we believe it was more because our ticket scanner network went down. It was the 6th largest crowd in park history. There were a lot of first timers and one timers and it was the best overall crowd that I have experienced so far at the park. The field looked great and our grounds crew went above and beyond to make the field look patriotic. And to cap things off, the Power won 5-1.

July is here and, including the current one, I have only three homestands remaining. We're getting there. And I'm loving every minute.

Because, why not?
Josh

 






Hours June 28 - July 4

6-28 Sunday: 11:30-7:30 (8)
6-29 Monday: 10-12 (14
)
6-30 Tuesday: 10-1 (3)
7-1 Wednesday: 
Off
7-2 Thursday: 10-5 (7)

7-3 Friday: 9:30-5 (7.5)
7-4 Saturday: 9-10, 2-12 (12)

Total: 51.5

No comments:

Post a Comment