Sunday, June 28, 2015

Week Eight

This past week was All-Star week which meant most of the front office staff went on a road trip to Asheville, NC for the South Atlantic League (SAL) All-Star Game while the rest of us were stuck in Charleston. I was given Tuesday off but still had to come in Monday and Wednesday to prepare for the second half of the season and the upcoming five-game homestand. 

Sunday wrapped up a seven-game homestand and I ran the wireless camera. Before the 2:05 game, we had an 8 a.m. tarp pull. It was Father's Day and we were supposed to have a propane tank cover giveaway for the first 1,000 fans. Well, the covers were sent to an undisclosed location in Europe instead of Charleston, WV. The two are pretty similar, right?

After the tarp pull, I didn't have to be back at the park until 11:30 while my boss went home to have Father's Day breakfast with his daughter. So I went home and watched ESPN for a while and then went to Tudor's for breakfast. I then walked to an overpriced coffee shoppe before heading back to the stadium. I decided that I had worked hard all week during the seven-game homestand and deserved a little treat. It was a great way to start my day and geared me up for a long day in the sun. After the game, I went home and it didn't take long to fall asleep. It's strange getting home before midnight and even stranger falling asleep before midnight. I won't complain though.
Throwing BP to Mike
I came in Monday and spent the day compiling the top ten plays from the first half of the season. The Power fell just short of reaching the playoffs after a losing skid in June. They finished in second place in the SAL Northern Division. Here is a link to the first half top ten. After I finished the top ten, the other production intern, Mike, and I went to the player's batting cage to take a few hacks. I threw a batting practice session and took a session as well. It was my first time actually throwing a full round of BP and my first time hitting baseballs with a wooden bat. I still don't know how some guys don't wear batting gloves. I had blisters galore afterwards and still have a few now.

Tuesday was my off day and therefore, laundry day. In the evening, I went to a pizza restaurant downtown with most of the remaining staff that didn't go to Asheville. The Power manager and hitting coach also went with us. It was fun listening to stories from the coaches about different players, past experiences they've had and many others. It was a nice night out away from the ballpark. 


Thursday began the five-game homestand that we are currently in the middle of. It was promoted as Margaritaville night featuring a Jimmy Buffet tribute band performing after the game. We played a lot of beach themed music and summertime music videos. Most of the Power staff, including me, dressed up in Hawaiian shirts and lei garland (pictured right). It was another night on the wireless camera walking around in a red Hawaiian shirt with the Power logo embroidered on it.

After the game, we had to put the tarp on the field for, yet again, overnight showers. Then I cut part of the highlights and helped take down the stage. The Power won 2-1 and didn't produce many offensive highlights. The fewer highlights there are, the sooner I get home. I would have gotten home around 11:15 or 11:30, but because of the stage and tarp, I didn't leave until 12. The night did produce a gorgeous sunset appropriate for beach night.



Friday was, as every Friday is, Fireworks Friday. We took the tarp off at 9 a.m.and prepared for a day of rain. Surprisingly, the rain held off for most of the day and we were able to play the game without any delays. I had the opportunity to MC once again. I didn't find this out until about a half hour before our production meeting. 
Yes, I have to do
the chicken dance
for the KFC Chicken
Dance Cam as the MC.
Our mom of the night was the Power's Jordan Luplow's mother. Luplow is currently considered a top 30 prospect in the Pirate system. So that was kind of cool. I also got to participate in my first oversize check presentation. Columbia Pipeline Group presented three checks to different charities Friday night and I got to stand on the dugout with Chuck during the presentations. 
The stadium at night in the dark.


Immediately following the last out of the game, I had to run down to the field to tarp the field. There were storms in the area and it was only a matter of time before it hit us. As soon as we covered the field, we set off the fireworks. Then we hurried to clean up as much as the firework debris as we could. Not long after that, it started to sprinkle. The early forecast predicted that it would rain all day Saturday. There was a large picnic that needed set up on the third base concourse that they decided to set up after that chaos instead of waiting until the next day. Then, finally, I was able to go back to my press box and begin cutting highlights after I changed out of my tarp clothes that didn't get wet from the tarp on the field, but form the rain on the concourse. Saturday's game was much different from Friday's 2-1 win. The Power still won, but this time by an 8-5 final. The more runs, the more highlights. I left the park at around 12:30 - after the lights to the stadium were shut off. That's when you know it's been a long night. 
The players' new warm up shirts. The Power logo in the center
of the WV state with the words "War Machine" on the front.
The DriFit shirts are an upgrade from their 100% cotton shirts.

We were supposed to take the tarp off at 10 am. Saturday. Usually on Saturdays, I don't come in until noon. I got to the park right at 10, only to not take the tarp off until 1:00. An hour later, we put it right back on for a chance of scattered showers. I had the chance to MC once again Saturday night, but this time, I was notified in the morning instead of right before the game.

But that didn't mean it wasn't a night for me to get surprised once again. After our production meeting, I was told that I would still get to do MC, but I would also run the wireless camera. Two jobs at once. Every half-inning, I was doing something. I was running back and forth between running a camera and doing normal MC duties. The ZOOperstars were at the ballpark for a special appearance and we were down several people in the press box. I wasn't even on the original schedule to do either wireless or MC. I was slated to do high-home camera. 

After a long night of running around and doing everything, I think it's safe to say that Saturday night's game was one of the hardest that I've worked at a game. I put more into that game than many before it. The good news is that the rain is gone for a few days and I can sleep in a little bit Sunday before our afternoon start.
I really am loving it here. July is right around the corner and that blows my mind. I can't believe that I'm two months into this summer. This summer has been incredible. I'm loving every minute. Even if I'm doing multiple jobs at once and pushing myself to utter exhaustion at the end of the game, only to stick around for two hours afterwards to do more work. Hey, I signed up for it. I'm fine with it.

Because, why not?


Hours June 21-27

6-21 Sunday: 11:30-7:30 (8)
6-22 Monday: 10-5 (7
)
6-23 Tuesday: Off
6-24 Wednesday: 10-5:30 (7.5)
6-25 Thursday: 9:30-12 (14.5)

6-26 Friday: 9-12:30 (15.5)
6-27 Saturday: 10-12 (14)

Total: 66.5

No comments:

Post a Comment