Sunday, July 19, 2015

Week Eleven

This past week began the my second-to-last homestand with the West Virginia Power. A homestand where I did just about everything.

I got back to Charleston Sunday night after spending the weekend at home. I went in for a normal 10-5 day Monday and was supposed to Tuesday. Around 4:00 a wicked storm rolled through the area after we put our ripped tarp on the field. After the rain stopped, I went over to Trip and Alex's apartment to watch the MLB Home Run Derby. 

Wednesday was supposed to be the start of the homestand. A similar storm with a little more strength (left) hit us at around 5:45 so we postponed the game until Thursday where we would play a double header to start the homestand. I went home for a while but later went back to the stadium to watch the MLB All-Star Game from the press box. 

New River Gorge Bridge
cut into the outfield grass
We played two Thursday. 14 innings of wireless camera work later, it was time for Christmas in July. The new tarp had arrived. After the game, we took over an hour to fold up the old tarp and get our new tarp prepped for use. The new tarp cost roughly $5,000 and feels a lot lighter compared to the old tarp, which isn't necessarily a good thing. We'll see how long it can hold up. 

Our groundskeeper, Chris, who I have came to know pretty well, has done a great job with the field along with his grounds crew. He had a story written about him in the Charleston Daily Mail detailing his work.

Friday was interesting.

I went down to the clubhouse at 10:45 to change into the mascot costume for the first time. I jumped in the Street Team car with our promo team girls and four of our players to head to the mall for an appearance (left) . The costume got really hot really fast. There weren't a lot of people at the mall, and those that were there seemed disinterested in the yellow furry creature waving at them. Drenched in sweat, I changed out of the costume and had lunch with the players before heading back to the stadium. 
When I got back to the stadium, I put the Chuck costume back on for a music video shoot. Three hours later, it was 3:45 and I was on my way home to shower before the game. I was exhausted and still had a game in the evening. After running the camera behind home plate for the game, we were told to get ready for a tarp pull. On my way back to the press box from clocking out, I ran into our EVP who said they needed help cleaning out the bowl (our regular seating area). One of the cleaning crew guys told me that a lot of their guys don't show up the few days after pay day. 

After sweating some more as I picked up trash in the stadium, I helped get the tarp on the field ahead of a possible overnight shower. It did not rain that night, so the 9 a.m. tarp pull was an easy one. I edited my highlights and was home just before 1:00.

After tarp the next morning, I put the Chuck costume on one more time to get a couple more shots for the video. I went home and got breakfast and was back at the park at 1:00 for the start of another hectic day. It was a major sponsor night at the park and we were short-staffed in the press box. I started the game on wireless camera when a few innings in, we were told to bring our cameras in to head down to the tarp. It rained everywhere but over Appalachian Power Park Saturday night. Two innings later, I jumped behind the home plate camera. I swapped back to the wireless camera after the seventh-inning stretch. 

A motion graphic I made
for when the Lexington
Ledgends strike out.
Before I could begin cutting highlights, I had to go to the field to assist in fireworks cleanup, picking up thousands of tiny pieces of cardboard and other debris on the field by hand. It took me back to the days where I used to pick up leaves by hand at home. Then we put the tarp on the field for another possible overnight shower. It did not rain that night, so the 8 a.m. tarp pull was an easy one. Besides the whole waking up thing. 

Before I could begin cutting highlights, there was a picnic that needed help tearing down on the third base concourse. Dozens of tables and hundreds of chairs needed put back in storage. When we finally finished that, I went back to the clubhouse to change out of my sweaty clothes to begin cutting highlights. 

But wait, there's more. 

Campers in their tents watching
"Big Hero 6" on the video board.
It was Scout Night as well. Between 150 and 200 people, mostly scouts, came back to APP after the game for a campout on the outfield grass. We had popcorn and drinks for them on the Party Deck and played a movie on the video board for them. I left just before the end of the movie around 1:45. 

So, I did my normal camera and highlights duties this week. I also dressed up as a mascot in 90+ degrees weather, picked up trash, took down tables and chairs, and crawled in the outfield picking up fireworks debris. I did my best at everything that I did and gave everything my all. I've been raised to do what I'm told and do it right. "Shut up and do your job." Hard work pays off. 

I sweated more this week than I have in a long time, but I'm doing what I love. 

It's baseball, man.

Because, why not?
Josh








Hours July 12-18

7-12 Sunday: Home
7-13 Monday: 10-5 (7)

7-14 Tuesday: 10-4 (6)
7-15 Wednesday: 9-6 (9)

7-16 Thursday: 9-12:30 (15.5)

7-17 Friday: 10-12:45 (14.75)
7-18 Saturday: 9-10:30, 1-1:45 (14.25)

 Total: 66.5

No comments:

Post a Comment