Monday, November 28, 2016

Penguins - Week 13

The Penguins had two home games last week - one Monday and one Saturday - and I had the chance to work Saturday's game against New Jersey. What a game.

Pittsburgh pulled its goalie with one minute remaining trailing 3-2. We were in the office getting ready for a quick postgame following a tough loss.

Then, Sidney Crosby pulled a loose puck out of a scrum of players and flipped it over the goalie's left shoulder for the tying goal. So, we went to overtime and braced for a long night just seconds after prepping for a short night.

The game went to a shootout, where Kris Letang scored the game-deciding goal and lifted the Penguins to a 4-3 victory.

We watched from our office that is across from the Penguins locker room and directly behind the Penguins' bench in the arena and proofed our post game graphics and game notes. For the first time, I took the game notes all to myself and wrote the entirety of them. One of the game night staffers proofed them.

I went to the locker room for sound after the three stars were announced. I've figured out clever ways to sneak around the media scrums to get as close to the players as possible to get the best sound possible. They like to go right in front of them, and so I sneak around them and just stand beside the player.

Saturday, I did just that and was right beside Crosby, Letang and goalie Matt Murray.

I went to coach's press conference afterwards as usual and then we went back to the office to wrap up. My boss always goes over our work after the game and had several compliments for the game notes, which made me really happy.

Before the game, I sat in my boss's office with all three of my supervisors and had my midterm evaluation, a few weeks past the midterm. They all told me I've been doing a great job and we went over my plans for the near future. It was a productive meeting, to say the least.

I have some photos below that give an inside look to the press box that I took Saturday.

My birthday is on Wednesday next week when I go in for pre game prep. I work Thursday's game and then might have to go back Friday to help prep for the Three Rivers Classic.

The long hallway in the press box. The game is just on the other side of the wall to the left. 

We post rosters, seating charts, and stats in between periods on these boards.

Our booth in the press box

A shot of my seat where I write game notes 

Our lovely printer

No comments:

Post a Comment