Sunday, October 16, 2016

Penguins - Week 7

Hockey is back in Pittsburgh!

We officially kicked off the regular season Thursday and raised the 2016 Stanley Cup Championship banner atop PPG Paints Arena.

The opening game didn't start until 8:20 and we had to get to the arena at 2:30. For a typical 7:00 game, we have to arrive between 3-3:30.

We got to the arena and began working on the line sheets that list where each player is positioned for the night. They used to design each player's name, height, weight and stats in Photoshop and placed those files in InDesign. I found the process tedious and unnecessary to photoshop.

Because we also had to change the team fonts, we made the collective decision to scrap our old method and just make the line sheets in InDesign.

I went ahead and started chipping away at the line sheets and polished them up for the game, improving the design, alignment and process.

I sat at the credential table as usual before the game and helped finalize the line sheets before they were printed.

We were handing out game notes and line sheets as the banner ceremony began. It gave me chills. The roar of the crowd, the lights, the videos, everything. It was incredible.

Then, I had to run to the printer for more line sheets mid ceremony.

I made it back just in time for the player introductions and got to see the whole ceremony.

I watched maybe 7 minutes of the actual game on the ice. The rest of my time was spent in the office between periods, running stats, or writing game notes. I loved it.

We did good work that first game and followed up with a better game Saturday.

We had better game notes Saturday and I made another new line sheet. We're also incorporating new and more graphics to our @pensprlady Twitter account.

The three interns all work very well together. I think we have a nice bunch this year.

It should be a great season and now that we have two games under our belts, there's only room to grow and improve now that we have the basics down.









No comments:

Post a Comment