Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Sternwheel, a levee and Lexington

This place ain't so bad.

A simple and relaxing week to head into a crazy month of June.

Memorial Day for me was a lot different than in past years. No picnics, no food on the grill. Just a relaxing day to recover from a brief homestand. I just about finished season two of Parks and Recreation on Netflix. My roommate's girlfriend was here for the weekend and they cooked great chicken and rice for dinner.

I was told that there would be a homestand meeting Tuesday at 9:30, so that's when I showed up. To a mostly empty office. So I just went to the press box and began working on my Top 10 Plays from the previous homestand video. (Top Ten Link)

When I finished my Top Ten video, I began preparing videos for the next homestand. I came in early the next day to get try and finish everything that I needed to do. It was a good thing I came in early because my to do list grew once 10:00 came. I spent the morning shooting and editing a commercial for the Budweiser Party Deck. It was a Top Five Plays video playing off the Homestand Top Ten videos. It turned out better than I expected, plus I got free food out of it. We shot one of our food and beverage guys flipping burgers on the grill. Somebody had to eat them.

"Wait, there's a bun underneath?"
About a half hour later as I began to edit the video, we went out to shoot one of our cooks making a new sandwich that we are going to serve at the park. It is called the Sternwheel to honor the old Charleston Wheelers team. I didn't think it was possible to fit so many things on one bun. This is the sandwich:

A bratwurst aligned with fries topped with coleslaw, pulled pork, jalapeƱos and Korean barbecue sauce.

It was incredibly good. Amazing.

Thursday was the day Jay, Mike and I traveled to Lexington, KY for a Lexington Legends game. We took the Power Street Team car to Lexington around noon to visit the Class-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals.

When we arrived in Lexington and finished eating at a pizza place downtown, we walked around for a little bit and came across a church turned antique shoppe.

The inside of this church
 turned antique shoppe
The people in Lexington were generous and showed us great hospitality. We arrived, got our media passes and got a tour of the ballpark that started in their video board control room. Lexington has two video boards instead of one. Their right field board shoots flames from the top.

Their board meeting room is a corner suite in the park and has a tablet that controls everything in the room from the fans to the TV to the lights. With our media passes, we decided to catch the game from a few different angles and that was definitely one of them. We started in the press box, went to

the suite, got food and stood at a couple different places and finished in the front row behind home plate. While we were watching the game from the suite, a foul ball actually went out of the stadium and ended up underneath our Street Team car. We ended the game where we started in the control room and said our thanks and goodbyes.

My media pass for the evening
On the field
Players from the Greenville Drive warm up
The Class-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox

From the press box and A/V control room

 


The board meeting room suite
From behind home plate

I had off Friday but still went to the stadium to get a couple extra things done. I had nothing else to do, so why not? I still find it weird calling this "work." In the evening, me and a few of my intern
friends went to Live on the Levee, a free outdoor concert open to the public every Friday night in the summer downtown. It was a great atmosphere with good music and a beautiful sunset. A great way to end the week.

This week and the ones that follow should be interesting. I have one scheduled "off day" during games in the month of June, our busiest month. This coming weekend is a road trip for the team, but we are hosting the high school state baseball tournament.

With the month of June around of the corner, May is almost done. I'm writing this on my half-birthday, May 30. The first month down here flew by and the last six months have gone by even faster. It's mind boggling to think that I've been out of school for over a month too. I'm happy to say that I have fully enjoyed the first month here.

West by God Virginia ain't so bad.

Because, why not?
Josh


The sunset from Live on the Levee
Hours May 23-30

5-24 Sunday: 12-8 (8)
5-25 Monday: Off - Memorial Day
5-26 Tuesday: 9:30-5 (7.5)
5-27 Wednesday: 9:30-4:30 (7)
5-28 Thursday: 9:15-12:45 (15.5) (Lexington trip)
5-29 Friday: 10-1 (3)
5-30 Saturday: Off


Total: 41

No comments:

Post a Comment