Friday, May 1, 2015

The move to the Wild & Wonderful

Live from mile marker 98 on Interstate 79, this is Josh’s adventure to Charleston, West Virginia.

It’s me, Jake, Emily and Dad in the car for a few hours more until we reach Charleston. We just stopped for dinner at Wendy’s and are back on the road.


First of all, if I come back with an accent, forgive me, friends. I picked up the Canadian dialect in a couple days. I love Canada. If I pick up the southern dialect, well, it happens. At least I’m not in the Deep South.

I’ve grown up pronouncing the Appalachian Mountains (ah-pa-LAY-shen). In Charleston, the West Virginia Power play at Appalachian Power Park, pronounced (ah-pa-LATCH-in). That will be interesting.

It was weird only being home for three days (Tuesday night through Friday late afternoon), but then again I only spent a couple days at home at a time this year so three felt pretty long in a way. I got to walk my dog a few times and had the chance to jam on my drums this afternoon. That’s home.

I can’t describe my emotions for this whole endeavor. It hasn’t even hit me that I’m leaving for the summer. It hasn’t even hit me that it IS summer. It’s May 1st. Not June 10th. It doesn’t feel right that school is over. It still really hasn’t hit me that I won’t see my friends for three months.

I didn’t have a hard time transitioning to college, mostly because I was basically familiar with Pittsburgh. I know absolutely nothing about Charleston except where the ballpark is and where my apartment is. I know nothing. That doesn’t scare me too much, it just means that there’s a lot more to explore.

I do know that West Virginia is very mountainous. I know that, right now, the clouds act as a beautiful canapé for this interstate located mostly in between acres upon acres of blooming trees.

I’m writing this blog while mostly looking out the window in awe of how beautiful my surroundings are. When I write on the road, I don’t look down too much anyways, but now I have a good excuse not to.

The sun just set to our right and it was a gorgeous sight. We are counting down the miles until the Charleston exit, which seems to go by fast. The speed limit is 70 mph, which is making this a little quicker, I suppose.

I do know that I haven’t been sleeping much the past two weeks. Partially due to my excitement and anxiousness, partially due to me and my friends using every last moment that we had with each other for the semester. Despite this, I’m not tired, not one bit. I’m awake and I’m alive. Hallelujah.

I finished this past semester with a 4.0, so there’s that. This internship that I’m doing is for credit. It’s a class, technically. I have to write a paper about it and log my hours and everything. My advisor is supposed to fill out paperwork to act as proof that I’m actually working there this summer. The school wanted it before I started to work. It took a few emails, but I got around that. That’s one of the first things I have to do when I get down there.

I also have a lot of West Virginia official paperwork for government things, plus the employee handbook. It says that I’m only allowed to wear Power or Pirate affiliated things, of course. I left all my Red Sox things at home and brought anything that has a Pirates logo on it from home, including my Sock Monkey.

I know that I don’t know what my duties will be exactly. I know I’ll pull tarp and make videos, but I’m really clueless. As a side note, I plan to update this blog weekly over the summer.

My pay includes a $600 stipend for each month, $500 of which goes to rent. I will receive minimum wage for all hours worked during actual games.

I have a lot of food packed to get me through as long as possible. I’m not worried about running out of food or money. If it happens, it happens. It shouldn’t, but I’m not worried about it. I can’t worry about something I can’t control or something I don’t even know will happen. It’s fine. It’ll all be okay.

I do know that I won’t have as easy access to home as I did in Pittsburgh. If I needed something from home, it wasn’t hard to get. If I needed to go home, getting me there wasn’t hard. This is different.

Appalachian Power Park 
I do know that I’m being thrown into a totally new place with a different culture and way of life. I’m a city boy working in the least city-boy state in this part of the country.


I do know that I’m going to have to make new friends everywhere and most of them will probably be a few years older than me. I’m 19 and just finished my freshman year. The rest of the interns are more than likely finishing at least their sophomore year. The rest of the staff already graduated. This is their full-time job. I’m a rookie in every sense of the word. I have to be at some point in my life though, why not now?

I do know that if I make good friends, I’ll have to say goodbye to them in August. The difference between saying bye to these friends and my school friends is that I won’t go back to Charleston to see them again. I probably won’t see a majority of them ever again. I’m sure that if we all work in the same field we’ll run into each other once and a while.

I’ve been riding the wave in life and just going wherever it takes me. It took me to Pittsburgh, then San Diego and now Charleston. I didn’t know what I’d get out of Pittsburgh and I got San Diego. I really didn’t know what would come out of San Diego and I got Charleston. What will Charleston bring me? What will it teach me?

Maybe this whole experience will teach me how to say goodbye to people easier. Maybe it’ll teach me how to actually cook food instead of relying on Subway and microwaves. Maybe this whole experience will teach me that I want to work in baseball for my whole life. Maybe it’ll teach me just the opposite.

Maybe I’ll meet somebody that helps me get a job in four years. Maybe I’ll meet somebody who helps me get a full-time job now. Maybe I’ll meet somebody who can mentor me. Maybe I’ll meet somebody who knows somebody who will mentor me. Maybe I’ll meet somebody who will become my best friend and be a groomsman in my wedding, I don’t know. Maybe I’ll meet somebody who can cook me a good meal once in a while. Maybe I’ll meet somebody with the Pirates that offers me an internship with them for next year. Maybe I’ll win the West Virginia Lottery.

Okay, that’s a stretch.

Maybe.

I don’t know what the next three months will bring. That’s the best part. I don’t know. I’ve written here before that I love not knowing what is going to happen. I love spontaneity and exploring. I’m sure there will be a lot of both of those things. It doesn’t matter that I don’t know what’s in store and that I don’t know what’s about to happen. Whatever happens, happens. I’m just going to ride the wave and hope that it doesn’t throw me off.

If it does, I’ll recover my surfboard and find another wave.

Because, why not?

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment