Friday, October 3, 2014

Catching up

First off, I apologize for not writing in a couple weeks. Here's a brief rundown of what I've been up to.

- I won a Neil Walker autographed baseball from the Pirates Twitter account on Fan Appreciation Day.
- We celebrated the Pirate's clinching a playoff berth on my floor
- I met with my conversation partner, Fahad for the first time. He is from Saudi Arabia and is majoring in health administration.
- I have developed a Starbucks addiction. White Chocolate Mocha all the way.
- I went home for the homecoming/alumni night game.
         - Going home was a lot more weird than I had pictured. It was like going on vacation. I was excited to see Jack, but he was not as excited to see me. I got to see my friends from band that I had not seen in a long time and it was awesome. We went out to Applebee's after the game and stayed for an hour and a half. I went to the doctors the next day and got treated for strep throat. I got to go back to North Street and I played my drums for the first time in over a month. I made the mistake of asking my mom when they were taking me "back home." Whoops. Before I went back to school, we all went to Olive Garden for dinner. Our waitress gave us an entire fresh batch of bread sticks to go along with 423475283 OG mints. I shared with everybody once I got back to school.
- The critique for the Newspaper this week, as is done every week by the advisor, was a special one. She gave me nothing but compliments and high praise for my story on the PPU win over CMU. I even got "Globe Star of the Week."
- I took a sociology midterm and a mass comm module exam on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday:
- Took a free tour of Heinz Field
- Went to the Pirate's playoff pep rally in Market Square
- I actually went to the Wild Card game. They lost. But the atmosphere at the beginning of the game was absolutely incredible.
- I made Hunter Pence signs for the game and was featured on MLB.com among other social media sites because of it.
- I was up bright and early on Thursday to attend a small group discussion on race with NPR radio host Michele Norris. In 2009, Norris was named one of Essence magazine's 25 Most Influential Black Americans. I encourage you to read up on her Race Card Project. That was an incredible and eye opening experience about race in America.
- As soon as I got back from the talk at the Carnegie Museum of Art, I volunteered for the Center for Sports Marketing for a guest presentation from the VP and SVP of Marketing Solutions at ESPN. I got a free ESPN shirt and hat because of it.
- I am applying for the opportunity to attend the 2014 Winter Baseball Meetings Job Forum in San Diego, California.

I have had a number of papers and assignments that have been taking up a significant portion of my time and I have been unable to write. I said from the beginning that I would have no set deadline for these to avoid stress. I encourage you to explore the full site, if you already are not, on a computer at JoshCroup.blogspot.com 

I update the Links to my Work post frequently. Keep checking it for updates and more of my published work.

Tonight, I have dinner reservations at Buca di Beppo's with Emily and this weekend is mural painting weekend on the floor. We'll see how that goes.

Things are great here and I'm feeling great as well. I'm no longer sick and I'm keeping up with all of my work. I did tweak my left hamstring in flag football two weeks ago and it is the only thing still bothering me. I'll deal.

This weekend, the Rugby Club will travel to Franciscan University in Steubenville Ohio. So that's my Saturday. I love having a three day weekend to relax and wind down. Not having classes on Friday is awesome. I love it here.

Because, why not?
Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment