Sunday, March 29, 2015

It will work out. It always does.

Things are starting to wind down and it's that time of year again when we're all asking, "where did the time go?"

Where did freshman year go?
Where did the first three months of 2015 go?
Wait, didn't I just move in?
I thought that paper was due next month. Oops, next month is this week.

All of the above have raced in and out of my mind the past week.

This semester has been significantly less stressful than the first. Much more of the work that I have taken on is outside of the classroom and my work inside the classroom hasn't been too intense. When I have had a lot of class work, I have tried to tie them all together somehow.

Example: I have to write a research paper on the history of baseball on television. I also have to give an informative speech. My speech therefore is going to be on the history of baseball on television. Specifically how the Pirates adapted to radio and television.

I wrote a poem that was supposed to describe myself in that speech class that apparently was super deep and the teacher told me to explain a lot of it but I couldn't. I said it was up for interpretation. He told me to enter it into "some contest." Don't ask me to explain the meaning of a lot in that poem, but apparently it was good. I thought things and I just wrote them down as they came in my head.

-------

Someone told me last week that they would love to spend just a half hour in my head to see what it would be like.

Trust me. No you would not.

The picture to the right is what it would look like if you went inside my head. Accept, the colors would be in ROYGBV order.

Organized chaos. That's what's in my head.

In broadcast history class last week, I found myself taking lecture notes on one half of the page, and writing down ideas for U-View on the other. I loved the ideas that were coming into my head and I couldn't help but write them down. Ideas for new shows, new segments, changes to the current shows, I even drew out a detailed three year plan for my role at U-View.

At the same time, I was mapping out in my head my plans for after class, for the evening and for the weekend.

I'll admit, I like having things planned out. I like having organization. But just as much as I like all of these things, I love spontaneity. I love change. I love when things don't go as planned and I have to think on the spot.

This broadcasting business, that's a daily thing. I'm in the right business.

I just got my weekly review for my column and was told it was my best piece of the year. 

I'm preparing to do play-by-play for Point Park baseball and softball games during the month of April. I'm really looking forward to that following a great basketball season.

I just was at the Winter Sports Banquet that was a really nice ceremony with great food, of course.

Now, as much as I love mapping things out, there's a few things that are not even close to being mapped out at this point.

I'm not sure when I'm moving out. I want to move out the last week of classes, the week of April 20. I only have one scheduled final so far, and I can see myself having two scheduled finals. They would be on Tuesday and Wednesday the 28th and 29th.

I move in to my apartment in Charleston the first weekend of May and begin working on the 4th.

I know who I'm living with, but I don't know what the place really looks like for sure. It's only a short walk form the stadium and within walking distance of everything in downtown.

I don't know how I'm getting home for sure when I want to go home. Or when I will go home.

Right now, I see two weekends - one in May, one in July - that are legitimate chances to come home for a weekend. I'm still trying to figure out a bus system to get me back that allows me to actually spend time at home. That's stressful.

I absolutely can't wait to start in Charleston. I'll write about what I'm expecting and what I've found in my research at a later date.

When I'm finished and move back home in August, I'll have some time to relax and visit with friends and family before moving back to school.

I'm planning on becoming a mentor for the Honors Program. I would be assigned a few incoming freshmen to just talk to and act as someone to reach out to if they have any questions about the school. I would also get to move in early and beat the rush.

But when I move in, right now, I have no idea where I'll be or who I'll be with.

All of my friends are either:

- Living off campus
- Transferring
- Transfered
- Already have roommates

So there's that.

It seems like every time a situation like this comes up, I try not to worry about it too much. If I trust that it will all work out, somehow, it works out.

I wasn't sure about my roommate this year. I had faith and it worked out just fine. I had no idea where I was going to even live this summer in Charleston. I had faith and it worked out.

I don't know how I'll get home in the summer.
I don't know how/where I'll eat this summer.
I don't know who/where I'll live with next year.
I don't know how I will have time to do everything that I want to next year.
I don't know if I can get credit for the internship (The school is being complicated).
I don't know much of anything right now.

But that's okay.

Because it will work out. It always does, one way or another.

Because, why not?
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment